Winter Berry Melody Oats
As it gets colder here in Canada and the snow begins to fall, my heart saddens and hands shiver more often. Mornings feel harder, nights longer, and getting out of bed in the morning to jump into a day of action seems stifling horrid.
It's blessid moments of realizing that oatmeal can save almost anything—even cold blue mornings—that just down right make me smile, get up, turn on the stove and tackle the day.
So, if you too are in agreement that oats are amazing and have the power to act as a cold morning saviour then oh boy is it your lucky day. I'm about to tell you how you too, can make your mornings warm and cozy.
For starters, you'll need a big bowl, because this bad boy is packing on the toppings. You'll want to measure out your oats along with black chia seeds and add that to your pot with about 1 1/2 cups of water over medium heat. Let it simmer and boil, stirring regularly. When it looks thick, add a bit more water in, some cinnamon, honey, stevia or cane sugar, and let it simmer for another 2-3 minutes.
Once it's good, hot and thick (like you'll be after eating this), let it sit and get your toppings prepared. This is personally my favourite part. It's like art and decorations to me. Eeep! So exciting. Anyways, get your variety of berries, pomegranate seeds (currently in season thus a great fruit option), any other fig-like fruit you so desire, peanut butter and granola prepared.
Here I added a juicy plum at the base, then blueberries, black berries and pomegranate seeds. I then drizzled some Earth Balance crunchy coconut peanut butter (my FAVE) all over, warmed up a bit of almond milk and poured that over, and ended by sprinkling on some Muesli dried fruit and nut mix. Then of course snapped a photo of my master-piece.
Adding this sort of excitement to your meals will not only help you get out of bed, but improve your health by getting you engaged in putting together healthy meals.
Stay warm, loves.
- Compliment's Organic Quick Oats
- Earth Balance Creamy Coconut & Peanut Spread
- Jordans Organic Muesli
- Silk Unsweetened Almond Milk
- 3 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 2-3 drops of liquid stevia
- 1 1/2 cups of water
1. Turn stovetop onto medium heat, measure out 1/2 cup of oats, chia seeds and any other seed of your choosing.
2. Add your ingredients to the pot then add in 1 1/2 cups of water or almond milk.
3. Let the mixture cook for 5-7 minutes depending on your desired consistency, stirring regularly.
4. Add in 1 tablespoon of cinnamon, 1 tablespoon of honey or liquid stevia and continue to cook for 2 minutes.
5. Add berries and other toppings of your choosing, 2-3 tablespoons of granola and top with 1/4 cup of almond milk.